AMVAC’s Maintenance Mechanic installs, repairs, maintains, adjusts and overhauls pumps, gearboxes, centrifuges, pipe fitting, and overall cares for all the equipment in a busy, 24x7x365 operating chemical plant. ?Safety is a top priority. ?This is a key position that contributes to the overall safety and well-being of the manufacturing plant and AMVAC’s employees.
AMVAC? Chemical Corporation, an American Vanguard company, has successfully served the results‐driven global markets through development, manufacturing and marketing of products for agricultural and commercial use. ?As an essential business, we contribute by providing crop inputs for pest management, weed control and plant growth regulation.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
The?Maintenance Mechanic will:
- Perform maintenance on facility buildings, manufacturing equipment, various pumps, motors, piping, reactors, tanks, boilers to support 24 hour operations of a Specialty Chemical Manufacturing Plant
- Work in the field, outdoors and in the mechanic’s skill area performing fabrication, erection, cutting, drilling, fitting and assembly of pipe and other equipment ?at various heights and on ladders, scaffolds and in pits as needed
- Operate Forklifts to move equipment, heavy loads and drums to work area
- Read and interpret blueprints, assembly diagrams, P&IDs and Isometric drawings?
- Work from drawings, sketches & by following verbal or written instructions?
- Work safely with and around toxic and corrosive chemicals wearing proper safety equipment (PPE) including hard hat, safety glasses, chemical resistant suit, dust mask, rubber gloves, respirator, safety boots, rain protection gear, apron and other equipment as required
- Promote Quality by demonstrating accuracy and thoroughness within safety / OSHA guidelines
- Observe All Safety, Security & Hazmat procedures using equipment and materials properly; following instructions and in case of an emergency
- Diagnose complex equipment failures, dismantle and reassemble complex equipment ?
- Install and rearrange complex equipment
- Maintain order; clean debris and lubricant from parts, work area and equipment
- Operate pipe-threading machines
- Physical activities include climbing scaffolding, ladders, working at various heights; lifting 25 pounds regularly; up to 100 lbs. occasionally?
- Supervise and direct work of junior mechanics or helpers as required
- Complete routine paper work and maintain accurate records
- Prioritize and plan work activities to complete work in timely manner & meet productivity expectations
- Solve problems, offer creative solutions, communicate ideas effectively
- Determine appropriate action beyond guidelines; translate concepts into images; modify designs
- Rotating shift – 7 day with shift differential
- Must be able to pass post-offer background checks and other appropriate tests as required
- HS Diploma / GED required
- College or certification from a technical school desired?
- 3+ years of experience as a Maintenance Mechanic in an Industrial / Manufacturing plant
- Experience working in a manufacturing plant with Hazardous materials (toxic, flammable, corrosive chemicals) safely and in compliance with OSHA / Hazmat & local / federal regulations
- Demonstrated use of various mechanic’s tools, inspection gauges and power tools such as grinders, cutters, drills, etc.
- Proven ability to diagnose, repair and maintain pumps commonly found in a chemical manufacturing plant including centrifugal, diaphragm, vacuum, metering, canned motor, magnetic drive, gear / positive displacement?
- Maintenance of gearboxes, centrifuges, piping & operating pipe-threading machines
- Requires experience reading and following blue prints, mechanical / Assembly Diagrams, P&IDs and Isometric Drawings?
- Operate a Forklift (sit down)
- Ability to perform duties wearing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) including respirators (half-face, full-face, supplied air), masks, gloves, boots, chemical resistant suit while following safety procedures?
- Knowledge of performing general fire safety tasks, working with firefighting equipment and chemical fire suppression systems, fire extinguishers?
- Follow and interpret product SDS / MDS guidelines and instructions
- Computer skills including Microsoft WORD & EXCEL to provide documentation and prepare reports ?
- Math skills, calculations, reading and create / draw graphs, measurements, ratios, percentages
- Excellent Communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate both in writing and verbally with service providers and internal customers
- Must be able to fully understand and strictly adhere to all safety procedures and policies
- Able to function in a crisis situation under direction of Lead operator, supervisor or others in case of emergency in the manufacture of flammable, corrosive and highly toxic chemicals
- High standards of accuracy with attention-to-detail and maintaining cost-effective solutions?
- Team player who can proactively assist co-workers; fill-in as needed; provide training and mentor junior associates.?
- Physical requirements including regularly lift up to 25 lbs; occasionally lift 50 lbs up to 100 lbs.; climb ladders & scaffolding; work in pits and small spaces; outside & in inclement or hot weather
- Health insurance including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Health Savings Account (HSA) & Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with employer matching
- Employee Stock Purchasing Plan with employee discount
- Vacation, Sick & Holiday Pay
- Wellness program
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
AMVAC is proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment background checks and substance abuse testing.